I know I only agreed to at least one entry per week, but there is no way to convey a week's worth of life in one blog... Instead of attempting to make a coherent story of the jumbled still frames in my mind, I'll leave the series of first lines that I have already written tonight.
Brooklyn, Brooklyn, Brooklyn...
My subway ride used to be as follows: Walk to the 6. Get off at Spring. Walk 8 blocks to work.
Then it was (when the icy wind got inhumane): Walk to the 6. Transfer to the L. Transfer to the C. End at the corner of Van Dam and 6th.
Now it is this: Walk to the C at Clinton-Washington through the snow. End at corner of Van Dam and 6th.
(I also used to wake up in time to get to work at 9:30)
There it was: that subtle spark that made everything clear. This is a girl's shower. An ambiguous quality, though it was, it was simply fact. The realization that I now lived in a girl apt felt like coming home.
I have to sit back on my heels a lot and remind myself that I'll be here for 6 months. I will see the spring and summer. The snow will melt. It will get colder before it gets warm. And the friendships I'm just finding will be crafted into something unimaginable by the end of my stay.
I love it here. I feel at home. I feel loved and known. I feel unafraid.
Worked til 10pm last night. Was supposed to get free dinner and a cab ride, but didn't have the guts to ask for them...
I NOW LIVE IN BROOKLYN! Did I mention that? Logan from Apostle's church forwarded me Amanda's email. Mind you, I had just prayed for an apt to pop up that was available immeadiately (couch hopping wasn't too appealing) and boom. At the same time I was praying, Logan was forwarding. I got the email. Screamed. Went to see it on Saturday and moved in Monday.
First weekend in NY: Went to friend's of the boys' to watch the aggie game (what?). Saturday!! Trev and I ventured to Brooklyn to check out my potential roomate! walked around Prospect Heights! (kids sledding in the park, dogs, snow, the whole shebang) Went to the MET...went to their friend's to eat some pizza. Sunday--laid around after helping out at church (got to thank Logan for sending me Amanda's way), went to Apostles and ran into MARIA CALADO! had a last night with the boys including cookie dough and homemade queso...
My roommate is Amanda Tyler- she's 24 (for sure, she just told me), studied interior design at LSU and has been up here for 2 years. We just went to dinner, bought ben and Jerry's and watched a Jane Austen flick on our unfurnished living room floor. Love.
"No one stops to think,
no one has the knowledge or understanding to say,
'Half of this wood I used for fuel;
I even baked bread over its coals,
I roasted meat and I ate.
Shall I make an idol from what is left?
Shall I bow down to a block of wood?'"
Isaiah 44:19
Trying to learn from Daniel up here. Man, that man had faith like...
My first night with a radiator in my room, I woke up terrified. I got out of bed to see why Amanda was screaming bloody murder. Then I realized it was the beast of a machine at the foot of my bed leaking heat into my room.
I have been sleeping on a couch that Trevor found on the street. I was not aware of this until recently. New York has a legitimate bedbug infestation.
bedtime. I love you. God has blessed me big this week! My room in Austin is still available (as of yesterday) PLEASE spread the word. Word.
No comments:
Post a Comment